Before we get to this week’s preview, let’s take a look at how each of Clearfield’s first 10 opponents have fared this year through the first 10 weeks of the season (all statistics courtesy of http://www.maxpreps.com):
Week 1 – at Keyser (WV) (L, 43-30)
The Golden Tornado currently sit at 6-3 and finish their regular season Friday night against Mountain Ridge (MD). Keyser’s three losses have come to undefeated Fort Hill (MD; 28-20), 8-1 Bridgeport (31-6), and undefeated Frankfort (28-27). In all, the three teams to beat Keyser have a combined record of 27-1 this year. MaxPreps State Rank: 18 in West Virginia
Week 2 – at Penns Valley (W, 31-0)
The Rams finished their season 2-8 with wins coming over BEA and P-O. Penns Valley lost its starting quarterback, Ben Alexander, after seven games. The junior threw for 775 yards, rushed for 774, and accounted for 16 total touchdowns. Defensively, Penns Valley had just 4 sacks and 2 interceptions all year and allowed 32.1 points per game. MaxPreps State Rank: 439
Week 3 – vs. Central (L, 35-28)
The Dragons enter the District 6 AA playoffs with an 8-2 record and will host Penn Cambria on Friday. Central’s only losses came to Tyrone (20-13) and Chestnut Ridge (15-12). The team averaged 33.2 points per game, throwing 24 touchdown passes and rushing for 23. MaxPreps State Rank: 144
Week 4 – at Huntingdon (W, 30-14)
Huntingdon went 5-5 and will travel to 9-1 Juniata in the first round of the District 6 AA playoffs. The Bearcats have played in a number of high-scoring games this year as they average 25.8 points per game but allow 31.7. MaxPreps State Rank: 387
Week 5 – vs. Brockway (W, 28-17)
The Rovers began the year 4-0 before losing to the Bison; since then, Brockway has gone 1-4 and is at 5-5 overall. They will travel to play at Redbank Valley in the first round of the District 9 A playoffs. Junior Zach Tyler had 14 sacks through the team’s first 8 games. MaxPreps State Rank: 395
Week 6 – vs. Bellefonte (W, 41-6)
The Red Raiders came off of a winless 2013 season to post a 3-7 record this season. Bellefonte beat P-O, Penns Valley, and Bald Eagle this year to “win” Centre County despite throwing for only 35.3 yards per game. MaxPreps State Rank: 415
Week 7 – at Tyrone (W, 26-14)
The Bison were the only team to defeat Tyrone in the regular season as the Golden Eagles finished 9-1. They will take on Forest Hills in the first round of the District 6 AA playoffs on Friday. The average score of a Tyrone regular season game was 36.5-11.2. MaxPreps State Rank: 124
Week 8 – at Bald Eagle Area (W, 49-14)
The Eagles beat only P-O and Huntingdon on their way to a 2-8 record. According to MaxPreps, BEA was only able to sack opposing quarterbacks twice. MaxPreps State Rank: 473
Week 9 – vs. Philipsburg-Osceola (W, 50-3)
The Mounties were outscored by an average of 44.2-10.2 during an 0-10 season. The defense allowed 40+ points to each of the team’s last 7 opponents and didn’t hold anyone to under 30 points. MaxPreps State Rank: 573
Week 10, District 9 Championship – vs. Punxsutawney (W, 35-8)
Punxsy’s loss to the Bison on Saturday dropped the team’s record to 6-4, but the Chucks still advanced to the District 5/6/8/9 Subregional playoffs. They will face top-seeded Somerset on Friday and the winner of that game will play the winner of Clearfield-Johnstown. MaxPreps State Rank: 328
- A PDF of the AAA statewide bracket can be found here courtesy of Eastern PA Football. The arrangement of the bracket has not changed from last year, meaning that the eventual winner of the District 5/6/8/9 Subregional will go on to face the District 4 champion.
- Friday will mark the 6th meeting between Clearfield and Johnstown. The Trojans won 6-3 in 1919 and 17-0 in 1924, but the Bison lead the all-time series 3-2 thanks to playoff victories in 2010, 2011, and 2013.
- Clearfield has scored at least 20 points in 53 of its past 55 games dating back to the end of the 2010 season.
- The Bison are one win away from their 6th 9+ win season in the past seven years. Clearfield has won at least 7 games in 17 of the past 18 seasons.
- With a win on Friday, Clearfield would raise its all-time playoff record above .500. The Bison are currently 22-22 in the playoffs.
- Individual milestones within reach:
- Nick Kovalick is 9 tackles from tying Matt Meckey (1998-2001) for second on the career list with 223.
- Erik Sellers is 110 rushing yards from passing Doug Wagner (1976-1978) for 23rd on the career list. With 112 yards on Friday, Sellers would pass Ken Carlson (1959-1961) for 22nd. Sellers enters the game with 1,107 career rushing yards.
- Sophomore Seth Caldwell is 99 yards from his first 1,000 yard rushing season. With 100 yards Friday, he would pass Meckey, Gage Short (1991-1993), and Dave Spingola (1978-1980) for 14th place on the career rushing list.
- Junior Cody Spaid is 39 yards from giving Clearfield its 26th 1,000 yard passing season.
- Be sure to check out additional pregame coverage from The Progress, D9 Sports, the D6 Sports Network, and Western PA Football.